When out-of-town guests come for a visit and spend a few days in your home, what are the things you will do to make them feel welcome, warm and fuzzy?
By putting yourself in the shoes of a guest, try to imagine how you would like to be treated. Every small gesture makes a big difference to create a memorable stay for your guests.
These are some of the little things you can do to prepare for your guest's arrival.
1. Clean and fresh guestroom
If you have a spare room for guests at home, clean and dust the room regularly. Do not wait until the last minute. You may have a surprised visit or an early arrival. Ensure the bed has clean linen sheets and sufficient pillows are in good condition. Put some fresh flowers to brighten up the room.
Travel-size toiletry from hotels
Prepare a small toiletry kit with useful bathroom essentials. It is something the guests will appreciate in case they need it. Travel-sized toiletry collection from hotels are great.
3. Bedside table A bedside table with drawer provides a temporary place for guests to put their personal belongings such as watch, jewellery and wallet. Put some latest magazines on the table for their leisure reading at night.
Basic stationary such as pen and paper are nice to have in the guestroom. It doesn't have to be fancy. You can just recycle those writing pads and pens from hotels.
5. Welcome Pack
If the guests are visiting the country for the first time, gather some useful brochures, and maps from the nearest tourist information center. Include some interesting itinerary you've planned for your guests.
6. Internet username and password Not sure about you but this is one thing I would be very grateful for as a guest. Write the internet username and password in a note card and place it together in the welcome pack or on the bedside table.
7. A set of spare keys Duplicate a set of keys for your guests to ease their accessibility to the house especially for main doors.
8. Stock up the pantry
Have your pantry stocked up with some snacks, breakfast bars and biscuits for the guests. Not forgetting coffee, tea and juice too.
9. House Tour Upon arrival, if the guests are visiting your home for the first time, take them on a brief tour around the house and make them feel at home. Give them clear instructions on how to operate complex devices if any.
10. Personal Touch
Chocolate and a note
Add a sweet personal touch to make your guests feel special by writing a note and placing a bar of chocolate for them in the guestroom. You can also prepare breakfast or cook one of your best dish for your guests.