If you drink a lot of tea, you may end up using a mountain worth of tea bags in your lifetime. After making a delicious cup of tea, a tea bag can have a second life. Used tea bags have many great uses beyond the tea cup. Reusing tea bags is one small and easy thing you can do for the planet.
After making a delicious cuppa, a tea bag can have a second life – image courtesy pixabay
1. Soothe and refresh tired eyes. After making a cup of tea, place the tea bags in the refrigerator to cool. Once they are cool, squeeze out any excess water remaining so the tea bags are damp, not dripping. Lay back and place the cool tea bags over the eyes for 10-20 minutes to reduce puffiness, dark circles, and refresh the eyes.
2. Antioxidant bath. Add used tea bags directly to the bath. The antioxidants found in the tea leaves act to nourish the skin. Add some lavender essential oil for added aromatherapy. Chamomile tea bags purportedly work to relax your whole body.
3. Soothe breastfeeding nipple pain. Place damp warm or cool tea bags on sore nipples to ease pain from breastfeeding. Be sure to squeeze out the excess water before applying.
4. Compost for the garden. Add used tea bags to the compost pile for added nutrients. Be sure to remove the staple found in some brands of tea bags, but the bag itself can be added to the pile.
Tea bag second life soothing tired eyes - image courtesy morguefile
5. Fertilize household plants. Open the bag and sprinkle the wet used tea leaves near the base of the plant.
6. Deter household pests. Mice are repelled by the scent of dry tea bags. Add some essential oil to the completely dry used tea bag, this will also repel other pests, such as spiders, ants, and cockroaches. Place these around the home in cupboards, closets, drawers, under beds and furniture to deter these pests.
7. Upcycled DIY sachets. Dry out a used tea bag completely, add several drops of your preferred essential oil, and place in linen drawers for a nice fresh scent. When the oil wears off, just add a few more drops to make it last even longer.
Tea bags have many great uses beyond the tea cup - image courtesy pixabay
This list compiles only a few uses for used tea bags. There are many more, but these are some quick and easy ones to get started with. I would love to hear your ideas in the comment section!